|This page is currently inactive and is retained for historical reference.|
Either the page is no longer relevant or consensus on its purpose has become unclear. To revive discussion, seek broader input via a forum such as the village pump.
- This project has been replaced by Wikipedia:WikiProject Books.
This is a proposal for the creation of a Wikipedia-oriented book club. Wikipedians will all read the same book, discuss it on IRC channel #bookclub.wikipedia, and write an article about it. In addition, the discussions will be transformed into the beginnings of a Wikibooks study guide for an in-depth examination of that book by students and anyone else interested.
Ideally, the book will be one that does not have an article yet, though other books with articles can also be read and discussed.
The first meeting of the Wikibookclub is to take place on Sunday, at a time to be announced. The first book will be Andersonville, a Pulitzer Prize winning novel by MacKinlay Kantor, about a shameful incident in American history--the prison camp for the defeated troops of the Civil War. If you are interested in participating in this project, please sign up below and read the first 250 pages by then.
People who like the idea but are not particularly interested in this book are invited to choose another book and make their own club. There is no reason why there cannot be more than one club running simultaneously.
- Danny 19:31, 5 Sep 2004 (UTC)
- Andre 19:36, 5 Sep 2004 (UTC) - Maybe, I need to think about it.
- Mike H 19:38, Sep 5, 2004 (UTC) - I will try. The hurricane will prevent me from getting the book right away, and then the length issue is another thing. I've posted on discussion.
- Geogre 02:05, 6 Sep 2004 (UTC)
- Jongo 02:04, 9 Sep 2004 (UTC) - Am also considering. Has there been any mention of perhaps reading (for want of a better term) works from the 'canon'?
- Jimbo Wales 04:46, 17 Oct 2004 (UTC) I am excited to do this.
- Neutrality (hopefully!) 00:47, Oct 25, 2004 (UTC)
- –– Constafrequent (talk page) 04:11, 8 Feb 2005 (UTC)
- Tennessee Wood