|• Total||3.24 sq mi (8.39 km2)|
|• Land||3.21 sq mi (8.31 km2)|
|• Water||0.03 sq mi (0.08 km2) 0.93%|
|Elevation||643 ft (196 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||805.74/sq mi (311.13/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
Tilton is a village in Danville Township, Vermilion County, Illinois, United States. It is part of the Danville, Illinois Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 2,976 at the 2000 census, 3,061 in 2009 and 3,300 in 2018.
It is named after Charles Tilton, a friend of Abraham Lincoln, who worked for the railroads. Lincoln reputedly had Thanksgiving dinner at Tilton's house in the village in the 1850s.
Tilton is located at (40.096586, -87.642071).
According to the 2010 census, Tilton has a total area of 3.243 square miles (8.40 km2), of which 3.21 square miles (8.31 km2) (or 98.98%) is land and 0.033 square miles (0.09 km2) (or 1.02%) is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,976 people, 1,322 households, and 823 families residing in the village. The population density was 960.5 people per square mile (370.7/km²). There were 1,412 housing units at an average density of 455.7 per square mile (175.9/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 98.29% White, 0.17% African American, 0.10% Native American, 0.07% Asian, 0.34% from other races, and 1.04% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.08% of the population.
There were 1,322 households out of which 23.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.4% were married couples living together, 11.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.7% were non-families. 32.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.25 and the average family size was 2.83.
In the village, the population was spread out with 22.0% under the age of 18, 8.1% from 18 to 24, 25.0% from 25 to 44, 26.9% from 45 to 64, and 18.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females, there were 88.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.8 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $31,810, and the median income for a family was $37,727. Males had a median income of $35,455 versus $20,988 for females. The per capita income for the village was $16,276. About 6.2% of families and 8.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.7% of those under age 18 and 8.3% of those age 65 or over.
- Bert Graham: infielder with the St Louis Browns
- Russ Meers: pitcher for the Chicago Cubs
- Joseph Kirkland: journalist and novelist
- 1949-1957 - Carl Gruber
- 1973-1993 - Herschel Jones
- 1993-2001 - Conrad "Dutch" Wantland
- 2001-2023 - David Phillips
- 2023-Now - William "Billy" Wear Jr.
- 1970-2001: Charles Wolfe (Retired)
- 2001-2009: Michael Schull Sr. (Retired)
- 2009-2017: Steven Cornett (Retired)
- 2017-2022: David Cornett
- 2022-present: Phillip Bernardi
- Phillip Bernardi- Chief
- Ryan Schull - Captain
- Josh Brown - Sergeant
- Sam Bernardi - Officer
- Thomas Wimmer - Officer
- Amy Kobus - Officer - School Resource Officer
- Lane Weston - Officer
- Scott Larsen - Officer
- Kevin Goetzelman - Officer
- T.J. George - Director
- Nena George
- Doug Moss
- Lori Fields - Clerk
- Tiffany Jones - City Administrator
- Cassidy Warrick- Treasurer
- Fire Chief
- Butch Fields - Asst. Fire Chief/EMS Chief
- Andy Dunavan- Deputy Chief
- Doug Moss- Captain
- Dan Pentecost- Captain
- Brian Schull- Lieutenant
- Greg Sims- Lieutenant
- Justin Moore- Lieutenant
- Bays Brandon EMR
- Crawford Jamee EMR/EMT-B Student
- Dunavan Sarah EMT-P/Administrative Services
- Dunavan James(Andy) EMT-P
- Dunavan Brain EMT-B
- Fields William(Butch) EMT-P/Coordinator
- Fields Lori EMT-B /Administrative Services
- Harrier Cameron EMR/EMT-B Student
- Haskins Amy EMR
- Heiser Dustin EMT-B
- Hendricks Brandy EMT-B
- Mitchell Scott EMR
- Mitchell Anna EMT-B
- Pentecost Dan EMT-B
- Schull Brian EMT-P
- Schull Ryan EMT-B
- Warrick Cameron EMR
- Weddle Karyn EMT-B
- Weddle Zach EMT-B
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jun 30, 2017.
- "USGS detail on Tilton". Retrieved 2007-09-26.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "G001 - Geographic Identifiers - 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2015-12-25.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.